Oh Monday, how quickly you come back around! Following a week of very extensive journalistic research, I’ve come back to talk about the very talented, very delicious Matt Bomer.
Last week I mentioned how Mr. Bomer has been a star on the rise, but unfortunately, it hasn’t been easy for the openly gay actor to receive the recognition that he deserves. More than once he has missed out on high-profile roles, and although no one would ever admit it, it seems to be due to the fact that he is gay. He was even rumoured to have been up for the role of Christian Grey, before he lost out to Jamie Dornan. As much as I love Jamie, Matt would’ve made an excellent Grey (he’s who I would’ve pictured!).
Being a handsome, openly gay actor in Hollywood can be a blessing and a curse, so it’s good to see him coming out on top! As well as choosing leading man roles, Matt has pushed himself as a method actor too. His role in Ryan Murphy’s The Normal Heart saw the actor lose 40 pounds to play a gay man dying of AIDS. He continues to challenge himself as an actor, and his filmography is extremely diverse, as well as entertaining.
One of the things that I really admire about Matt is his relationship and family life. He has been happily married to publicist Simon Halls since 2011 and is the father of three sons. In an interview with Out magazine in 2014 he very eloquently described how he balances his personal life with his acting persona:
‘I felt a responsibility to Simon and to our kids to be able to live with integrity and not have some strange split psychology of, “This is who my dad is at home, and this is who he is to the public,”. That trumped any type of professional repercussions that it could have had.’
- Matt Bomer’s sexuality was always considered an open secret, and although he never really publicly came out, it came to be general knowledge when he thanked Simon and his boys during an acceptance speech for his Steve Chase Humanitarian Award.
- Believe it or not, Matt has been a DILF for over ten years now! The couples three sons were all born via surrogacy. Kit was born in 2005 and Walker and Henry (a set of twins) were born in 2008.
- As well as missing out on the role of sex-enthusiast Christian Grey, Bomer was also rumoured to be in the running for the role of Clark Kent/Superman in Man of Steel before Henry Cavill won the role. He had also auditioned for the role in the 2006 film Superman Returns. He eventually went on to voice the character in the animated film Superman: Unbound. Close enough I guess!
- Bomer practices the Transcendental Meditation technique. This requires the use of a mantra and 15-20 minutes of eyes-closed meditation per day.
- Matt Bomer is a distant cousin of Justin Timberlake! They both share descendance from Edward Bomer, who was born in 1690. Random! (they also shared a screen in the film In Time).
And there we have it. I can’t believe we’ve come to the end of Matt Bomer’s two week run as #ManCrushMonday! but rest assured, I will continue to keep a close eye on him, just in case we find it necessary to feature him in a part three! 😉